The rental market is going to change with Model Tenancy Act, which has placed in the public domain for suggestions by Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs. This law will act as the model act for states and union territories (UTs) to regulate the rental segment. As a Landlord or tenant, you are keen to know your responsibilities. Following are the key highlights of the responsibilities of the Landlord and Tenant.
Landlord Responsibilities – Major repairs:
- Structural repairs except those necessitated by damage caused by the tenant
- Whitewashing of walls and painting of doors and windows
- Changing and plumbing pipes when necessary
- Internal and external electrical wiring and related maintenance when necessary
Tenant Responsibilities – Periodic Repairs
- Changing of tap washers and taps
- Drain cleaning
- Water closet repairs
- Wash Basin repairs
- Bathtub repairs
- Geyser repairs
- Circuit breaker repairs
- Switches and socket repairs
- Repairs and replacement of electrical equipment except major internal and external wiring
- Kitchen fixtures repairs
- Replacement of knobs and locks of doors, cupboard, windows etc.
- Replacement of fly-nets
- Replacement of glass panels in windows, doors etc.
- Maintenance of gardens and open spaces let out to or used by the tenant